Saturday, November 5, 2016

Rhinebeck 2016 - We survived and it was grand!

I taught at New York State Sheep and Wool Festival last month, more fondly known as Rhinebeck to most fiber enthusiasts. It's no wonder with that mouthful!

Michigan's Autumn leaves on one of my favorite roads to go down in the Fall just as I was finally hitting the road. I wanted to document the difference in color progression. 
Our last morning leaving our AirBnB in Poughkeepsie presented us with a barge floating down the Hudson just as we were getting on the highway back to Rhinebeck. This is the best shot I was able to get of the leaves changing in New York. The colors were phenomenal all throughout New York and Pennsylvania although, I  must say, nothing beats a Northern Michigan Autumn in my opinion. I am a mitten state girl through and through. 
My travel buddy Maegan and I on our last morning. So grateful for my friend on this trip. 
I'd like to say it was amazing all around but Maegan and I's journey was fraught with car issues. My faithful Subaru began misfiring about halfway through the trip which set us back a few hours we couldn't really afford. We abandoned my car at a Monro Tire & Muffler in Clarion, PA and were transported to a teeny little podunk airport in DuBois, PA where we picked up a teeny compact rental. No big deal until you realize we have 4 spinning wheels, dying equipment and supplies, and all of our luggage for a 3 night stay. Fortunately I'm a pro at car Tetris. On to New York we went!!!!


We had a lovely stay at our AirBnB with a hostess who was extraordinarily kind and generous. Her Victorian home was in the process of being remodeled on the outside (the inside had been restored almost fully already!) and it was GORGEOUS! Her sweet clan of kitties kept us company and our feet warm while we slept too.


We arrived at the grounds sleepy but invigorated and excited to have finally made it, this was our first Rhinebeck. (we won't talk about the woman who backed into our rental car on the way up the road at the fairgrounds less than an hour before my first class started....)
Okay, maybe we will talk about it a little bit. This is what happens when someone who shouldn't have a license doesn't look behind them , not once on two separate occasions. Shame on us for thinking she knew a vehicle was driving behind her on a road filled with vendors and instructors entering to setup after we had already back up once to avoid being hit. It was of course everyone's fault but her own... grr..... 
Classes were INCREDIBLE! Friday was a whirlwind with a total of 25 students between my two classes. I was nervous to have so many students and to be teaching two classes for the very first time, but when you have such a great group of students, the knots in your stomach ease a bit more quickly.
Wash & Dye workshop students observing our dye results
using various types of wool washes and two different types of acid dyes.
We ran this workshop using the Scientific Method. I'm looking
forward to honing this workshop and offer it again either at my studio and/or
other festivals. 
13 spinners! This was the most I had ever had and the world did not end, in
fact, I quite enjoyed myself and I think they did too! 
My classes on Saturday and sunday were much smaller, but no less wonderful.
Wirecore samples, pin samples, and
wirecore spinning supplies all ready for my Saturday morning
class! 
Samples and supplies all set to go for my Thick & Thin
Handspun Singles workshop. A delightful duo in this workshop. One of my smallest classes ever
but so wonderful. My students had an age gap of about 50 years if I had to guess. Not hard to have when one student is a 12 year old boy! They were both terrific and definitely a highlight of my weekend.
Wirecore Spinning Students
We covered spinning around a wire core,
supercoils around a wire core,
 and making a fibula style shawl
pin using the yarn we made.
A Fleece &Lock Spinning student. I love getting action shots of bobbins while people spin. 
Sunday morning was Spinning From Fleece & Locks. This workshop
was all about keeping the texture of the fleece or locks you are working with
by spinning directly with no preparation. The textures and colors are so divine! Tailspinning
was also covered. I am in love with this student's bobbin. 
I was so grateful to run into a Michigander friend both Saturday and Sunday morning. Not much better than being so far from home and having a familiar face give you a big ol' hug first thing in the morning!

My meager haul! not much time to shop when you are teaching and have to jet ASAP when done! Poor Joe met us at the weird little airport with my subaru on a trailer so we could drop the rental and hop in the truck to get Maegan back to her truck and ourselves home. 
Loved this stained
glass as n alternative
to a banner or sign in
the animal barn for the Rambo sheep.
I had no idea how HUGE
Rambouillet sheep were! 
Despite all of the car issues, I had an amazing weekend and couldn't have asked for a better pal to share it with. We kept each other up through the vehicular drama with very few tears shed. I didn't get to experience much of the festival so I know next year with proposals to leave myself at least a full day to go shop.
Thanks Rhinebeck, I hope to see you again next year! 
the weather was beautiful all weekend and the sky as the sun set on our
return journey was a breathtaking sight. not bad for through a windshield.! 




No comments: