Wednesday, October 20, 2010

one seat over

Joe and I went to dinner the other night at one of our favorite local breweries, Dark Horse Brewing Company. We usually prefer to sit at the bar but it is often packed in there so we were quite pleased to find that there was plenty of room for us there. We sat down with the seat on my right open and the one to his left. I know, stupid right? Well Joe is tall so I thought he'd wanna sit and the end to be able to stretch his legs out. Silly man of course sat 3 seats in instead. So after joking with him how silly it was, I sat down to and we resolved to move should anyone else want to sit down.

A very nice couple who clearly frequent the brewery more than we do since everyone working there knew them (I'm not entirely sure they weren't the owners...) came in a bit later, so I asked if they would like us to scoot on down. We had a little small talk, joked a bit, and discussed what beers we were drinking and then went back to our conversations with our spouses.

Soon after we were discreetly told by our bartender that our first round had been taken care of.

I had one of their yummy homemade lime sodas for my second drink as I was driving and was shocked to find out a few moments later when we were ready for our bill that someone had taken care of the entire thing.

We're sure it was the couple that paid but we weren't supposed to know. Shocked, I tipped the bartender/waitress the twenty bucks I had in my purse.


Such a small gesture from us that resulted in a reaffirmation of my faith in human kindness all because we moved one seat over.

A large thank you from the bottom of my heart to that couple. 

1 comment:

Oma's Patch said...

I loved this story and had to share it with my hubby. Random acts of kindness are so important, and the return of the favor is always a wonderful surprise =)
We have some great Microbrews here in the Ann Arbor area: Jolly Pumpkin, Arbor Brewing, and Grizzly Peak to name a few. If you haven't tried some of their brews they are worth the sampling. I like Jolly Pumpkin the best, but it all depends on the flavors you enjoy.
~kate