Monday, January 25, 2016

In the studio

This incredible thing happened a few weeks ago. I moved into a studio. Another artist was in need of a studio mate and I jumped at the chance.
 These fibers were from my first batch of washing and dying in this amazingly equipped space. I feel like I have won the lottery, it is pretty much a dream setup. FOUR utility sinks, loads of heat sources for dying, a washer so I can spin water out.. man, it's great.

I also am starting to carve out time to get back to some work that I have had in my head for a while. I finished cabbing the Montana Moss Agate in the center above just before the Fall term was up. I know I am pairing it with this piece of fossilized coral I bought at a rock shop up in Beulah, MI several years ago and a tip of an Icelandic sheep horn.... just don't know how yet. You can watch progress on my rock and non-fiber jewelry adventures on Instagram under the name thecuriousatelier. I wanted to separate this body of work as I started getting back to my jewelry and rockhound roots but there will of course be overlap, hence the sheep horn.

Tonight I was in the studio later than ever but sometimes that is just the way life goes. I had wanted to get in on Sunday but unfortunately blew out a tire on my way back from visiting friends Saturday night. Being stuck on the side of a major highway till 2:30 in the morning waiting for road side service kinda puts a damper on productivity the next day. I did manage to get everything above and then some scoured and dyed. There will be loads of batts for Wine & Wool Festival this weekend at Sandhill Crane Vineyard! For more information check their facebook event here.

No comments: