Monday, May 2, 2016

Fermentation Suint Method: Collecting the Rainwater

Hey all!

I just got back from vending at the very first PLY Away retreat about a week ago and am still digesting the whole amazing experience. Work and life back home of course keeps on going so on to the next thing! (Don't worry, I took loads of pictures at PLY Away and am very excited to share more in depth stories behind all that I shared on IG and the few I held back for here!)
My booth at PLY Away!
In preparation for my Rainwater Fleece Prep class at Tillers International in a couple of weeks, I thought it would be appropriate to get a Fermentation Suint bath going again. It has been just over a year since my last one and for a couple of years I was cleaning fleece using this method combined with some Unicorn Power Scour as a final scour after the bath.

I did a lot of research on the method and really enjoyed learning about it's history which I talk about in the class quite a lot.

May is acting a bit more like April should have been with loads of rain and semi chilly temperatures here in the mitten. While warmer temperatures would be nice, the rain was welcome as I needed to start my bath by collecting some natural rainwater. You can use softened water for this also but, A. I don't have soft water and B. if we are gonna go with a natural method, might as well go all natural right?

I like to leave a few large opaque totes out on my deck just under the edge of the roof for this. It collects quickly, especially if we are getting heavier rains!
collecting the water in bins under the edge of the roof

drip! drip! drip! Sometimes more slowly than others. 


Wednesday I will select a fleece to start the bath so that I can give each student a jar of a good example of a suint bath since it is impossible to complete the fermenation suint method (FSM) in a weekend. It is incredible how something as simple as the natural greases in the fleece create their own soap! No wonder this method has been used for centuries! Look out for my next post where I choose the fleece to dunk first!

No comments: